The WA-412 from Warm Audio is a four-channel preamp for microphones and Hi-Z inputs housed in a 1 RU chassis. It’s fashioned in the American console preamp style, providing a punchy bottom end and smooth trebles. Each channel gives you 65 dB of gain, polarity switching, a 20 dB pad, 48V phantom power, a switchable impedance selector for tonal shaping, and knobs for both input gain and output; this allows for both precise and creative gain structuring of sound. You can easily watch your signal via the on-board LED meter for every channel.
Under the hood, you’ll notice that each channel uses a discrete and socketed 6-pin X520 op-amp, which helps in giving you a significant amount of headroom with minimal distortion characteristics. You’ll also note the Altran input and output transformers. If you don’t peak under the hood, you’ll take comfort in the fact that these components are extending your low-frequency response all while maintaining a pleasurable and open sound.
- Based on a classic American console preamp design known for its punchy, bold sonics
- Fully discrete, transformer-coupled, through-hole component topology
- Custom-wound, premium Altran USA input and output transformers on each channel
- Discrete X520 socketed op-amp on every channel
- May be user-swapped with most 6-pin, discrete op-amps
- 65db of gain; 20dB pad (pads both mic and instrument inputs)
- Inputs: microphone (XLR), active instrument direct-injection (1/4″)
- Outputs: transformer-balanced XLR and TRS.
- Tone button – switches input impedance from 600 ohms to 150 ohms
- Changes tone of both mic and DI inputs
- Phantom power (+48 volts), switchable per channel
- LED metering per channel
- Output trim knob per channel for exacting level control and sound sculpting
- Internal power supply (grounded, 3-pin IEC power cable)