Music producers and performing musicians in search of the classic 90’s sound of the JD-800 will be thrilled with the Roland Boutique JD-08 Synthesizer Module, a recreation of the iconic JD-800 that was a favorite for top electronic music producers through the ’90s and beyond. Widely embraced for its aggressively electronic sound pallet, the JD-800 brought back the control-laden panel that most other synths of its time could not touch.
The JD-08 module features all the unique sounds of this highly sought-after classic, in stunning detail, and includes 64 presets from the original hardware that perfectly recreates the four-tone structure, 108 waveforms, and unique two-part multi-effects that are at the core of the JD-800’s intricate, evolving sound. The module features the multi-phase time variant envelopes for complex, evolving sounds and a detailed recreation of the original two-stage multi-effects section with editable distortion, phaser, spectrum, enhancer, delay, chorus, and reverb.
Powerful new additions are included such as a polyphonic sequencer, 256 memory locations for new presets, and an onboard arpeggiator. The JX-08 sequencer features two parts, each with 64 steps and 8 notes per part with motion recording, a random patch generator, and memory for 128 patterns. A clock input syncs the onboard sequencer of the JD-08, which can result in unexpected phrases, rhythmic variations, and other happy accidents.
Features at a Glance:
- Authentic sound and behavior of the original JD-800 realized with advanced sound modeling
- 108 original waveforms for extensive patch-design possibilities
- Includes the original 64 presets plus 21 new presets
- Two-part, 64-step, eight-note (per part) polyphonic sequencer with motion recording, random pattern generator, and memory for 128 patterns
- Onboard arpeggiator
- Two-part multitimbral with expanded polyphony, up to 128 voices (depending on patch load)
- Four-part structure for tone layering
- Detailed recreation of the JD-800’s unique two-stage multi-effects section
- Editable distortion, phaser, spectrum, enhancer, delay, chorus, and reverb
- Multiphase time-variant envelopes for complex, evolving sounds
- Palette sliders for quick parameter adjustment
- USB Type-C audio/MIDI interface, full-size MIDI I/O, and external clock input
- Portable design for mobile music making
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Powered via batteries (4 x AA) or USB-C
- Control information can be sent and received via MIDI and USB-C
- Built-in powered mini speaker for instant enjoyment
- Compatible with optional DK-01 Boutique Dock or K-25m Keyboard Unit
Digital Classic, Modern Flair
With its retro workflow, evocative sounds, and powerful effects, the JD-800 was a favorite for top electronic-music producers through the ’90s and beyond. Combining the original JD-800 waveforms with advanced modeling techniques, the JD-08 delivers the exquisite hands-on sound-design potential of the original along with hugely expanded polyphony, a two-part polyphonic sequencer, and other modern updates.
Inspiring Sound Design at your Finger Tips
By the early ’90s, preset-driven digital synths with limited hands-on controls dominated the landscape. The JD-800 changed all that in 1991, bringing the synthesizer world back to its roots with a control-laden panel and an aggressively electronic sound palette. The JD-08 includes 64 presets from the original hardware and perfectly recreates the four-tone structure, 108 waveforms, and unique two-part multi-effects that are at the core of the JD-800’s intricate, evolving sound.
Expanded Sound for the Modern Age
While the original design of the JD-800 is retained in this modern version, there are a range of updates that take the experience to another level. New patches plus 256 memory locations let you dive deep into the huge array of controls to create new sounds for your music. And with expanded polyphony and two-part multitimbral capability, there’s even more room to stretch out your sonic ideas.
Music that Moves
Once you’ve locked in your patches, fire up the two-part polyphonic sequencer and start programming leads, bass lines, or basic chords, to sync with other pieces in your electronic ensemble. And to bring some animated movement to your sounds, tap in to motion recording and the onboard arpeggiator to make your musical lines dance.
MIDI, USB, and External Clock Input
The JD-08 features a built-in USB Type-C audio/MIDI interface; so you can play, record, and synchronize with all types of computer production software. A full-size MIDI I/O is also available for interfacing with other MIDI hardware. There’s even an external clock input for driving the JD-08’s onboard sequencer and arpeggiator from vintage analog instruments and modern Eurorack systems.
Grab Your Keys and Hit the Road
The compact JD-08 fits just about anywhere and is easily controlled from a master keyboard or computer DAW. It can run on standard AA batteries for hours of uninhibited jamming, and there’s also a built-in speaker for on-the-go sound monitoring. Add a DK-01 Boutique Dock for a polished look, and adjust it in three convenient tilt positions, or grab a K-25m Keyboard unit to create a fully self-contained portable instrument.
There are no reviews yet.