The Sceptre S8 Two-Way 8″ CoActual Studio Monitor with DSP Temporal Equalization by PreSonusarticulates nuances of your music that can’t be reproduced by conventional designs. The Sceptre S8 features a panoramic soundstage and a wide dynamic range. The advanced coaxial design works integrally with a 32-bit/96 kHz, dual-core processor running Fulcrum Acoustic’s TQ Temporal Equalization Technology.
The Sceptre S8 features a 8″ low/mid-frequency driver, a 1″ horn-loaded tweeter and front-firing acoustic ports. The systems are biamplified, with each transducer powered by an independent 100W RMS, Class D power amplifier with an internal heat sink. Sceptre has an internal power supply and a blue power-indicator LED. The S8 studio monitor has a balanced XLR and a 1/4″ TRS line-level input with an A-taper level control.
Coaxial systems, such as the S8, have both drivers on the same axis— providing a single point source for a consistent acoustic center. This results in symmetry of response on both the horizontal and vertical axes, at any given angle. The crossover transition is, therefore, seamless at all angles.
- Onboard TQ Temporal Equalization by Fulcrum Acoustics
- Each Sceptre monitor contains a 32-bit/96kHz, dual-core, active floating-point DSP chip that powers Fulcrum Acoustic’s TQ algorithms. The TQ algorithms use fully addressable Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters to eliminate horn reflections and to correct linear time and amplitude anomalies. Loudspeakers tuned with TQ provide a crisper stereo image, greater soundstage depth, more separation between the elements of a complex mix, increased resistance to feedback, more seamless transitions between distributed loudspeakers, and a less fatiguing listening experience.
- Acoustic Space Control
- The Acoustic Space Control is a second-order shelving filter centered at 100Hz. It can remain flat or attenuate by 1.5dB, 3dB, or 6dB— reducing the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall or corner.
- Acoustic Tuning Controls
- The High-Frequency Driver Adjust switch can boost the tweeter by 1dB, or cut by 1.5dB or 4dB. The High-Pass switch rolls off the lows below a specified frequency, 60, 80, or 100Hz, at a slope of 12dB/octave. This control is important if you are using a subwoofer in conjunction with the Sceptre.
- Input Sensitivity Control
- A sensitivity control ranging from +4dBu to -10dBV helps you match the Sceptre to your mixer’s outputs.
- Thorough Protection Circuitry
- RF shielding protects against radio frequencies that could be introduced to the signal and become audible. Sceptre monitors also provide overheat protection, current-output limiting and subsonic protection. “Soft startup” amplifiers prevent damaging pops from sounding through the speakers when you power them up.