With a reputation for design, playability, and quality of sounds, the Nord Piano 5 73-Key Portable Digital Stage Piano expands on the excellence of the previous generation to offer a superior studio and stage piano with significant upgrades and improvements under the hood. Combining two powerful piano engines, dual independent sample synths, and twice the memory of its predecessor with a premium, Triple Sensor keybed (with grand weighted action) and the company’s proprietary Virtual Hammer Action Technology, the Piano 5 delivers an exceptional playing experience for professional pianists performing live or in recording sessions. This 73-key model is 8.6″ shorter and 3 lb lighter than the 88-key version, making it easier to transport when touring or traveling to local gigs.
The Piano and Sample Synth sections each contain two independent Layers. The two Pianos and two Sample Synths can be used simultaneously in a variety of split or Layer configurations. Combined with the versatile effects routing, a wide range of sounds can be quickly achieved—from classic ensemble settings to rich soundscapes.
The Nord Piano 5 features a live-focused design with dedicated dials and buttons for full, hands-on control during a live performance. Transposing, setting up a split point, or creating a layered sound can be accomplished instantly. You can immediately execute seamless transitions for glitch-free changing of sounds or programs while playing. The LED-equipped Level controls allow for fast and precise balancing of all Layer volume levels. For even more expressivity, a volume pedal and/or sustain pedal can be assigned to each Layer.
Extremely popular with discerning musicians, Nord pianos are built by hand in the company’s Stockholm Factory and adhere to the most stringent standards for years of professional use. The Piano 5 features that distinctive red chassis, which elegantly stands out on stage and on screen.
Dual Piano Engines with Authentic Sounds
- The piano section features two piano engines that can be used simultaneously in a layer or a split.
- The factory bank contains 9 Grands, 9 Uprights, 10 Enhanced Electric Pianos, Clavinet, Digital Pianos, Marimba, Vibraphone and much more from the exclusive Nord Piano Library—all carefully selected for their unique character.
- The company’s state-of-the-art sampling technology captures the nuances and real character of the source instruments. The proprietary Nord Piano Library is regularly updated with new and unique world-class sounds, and always free of charge. All sounds are easily replaced using the Nord Sound Manager.
Accurate Piano Feel with Ivory-Touch Keys
Triple Sensor Keybed
- The Piano 5’s triple-sensor keybed has added weight for improved dynamic control providing authentic Piano touch and feel. It also provides authentic features like repeating a note without lifting the key completely to ensure the smooth repetitions and fluent transitions associated with an acoustic grand piano. Each individual keybed is meticulously calibrated at the Nord factory to ensure an even response over the whole range.
Virtual Hammer Action Technology
- Nord’s proprietary Virtual Hammer Action Technology—in conjunction with the physical hammer movements—delivers outstanding authenticity and dynamic response resulting in a keyboard action that handles dynamic playing with amazing control at any velocity level. Three dynamic curves are available to suit your playing style, from heavy to light.
Advanced String Resonance
- The company’s proprietary Advanced String Resonance technology accurately reproduces the complex interplay of the piano strings, while adding the rich ambience of a real piano when playing with the pedal down.
Creative Piano Filters
- The dedicated piano filters provide an additional level of sonic control, accentuating softness, mids, or brilliance for the acoustic uprights and grands. The electric pianos have tailored filters that even include emulations of the legendary Dyno preamp.
Nord Triple Pedal with Dynamic Pedal Noise
- The provided Nord Triple Pedal includes soft and sostenuto pedals in addition to a unique Dynamic Sustain Pedal. The Triple Pedal also enables the company’s Pedal Noise feature that dynamically simulates the mechanical sounds of lifting and releasing the damper mechanism. A Soft Release mode adds a slightly longer release, more suitable for legato playing, emulating the looser damper tension you would hear in an acoustic or an electromechanical instrument.
Piano Section Highlights
- 2 new independent Piano Layers.
- 6 types: Grand, Upright, Electric Pianos, Digital, Layer, Clavinet, and Harpsichord.
- Each category may contain up to 20 different models.
- Twice the memory with a plethora of new sounds: 2GB memory for Nord Piano Library.
- 120-voice polyphony (stereo/mono pianos).
- Creative piano-timbre options including Dyno filter.
- 3 dynamic curves to suit any playing style.
- Dynamic Pedal Noise with Nord Triple Pedal, Soft Release.
- Advanced String Resonance with adjustable amount.
Dual Sample Synth Section with Wide Range of Sounds
Dual Sample Synth Engines
- The Sample Synth section provides two fully featured and independent Layers and are equipped with intuitive controls for attack, decay/release, and dynamic velocity response. The new Soft and Bright Timbre settings provide a quick way for shaping the tone of your sound.
- The Sample Synths are based on an entirely new format and contain a wide range of entirely new sounds, such as solo wind, solo brass, solo strings, basses, guitars, plus a vast collection of classic analog leads and basses.
- A selection of samples from the Symphobia and Swing! libraries by ProjectSAM.
- All sounds can be quickly replaced using the Nord Sound Manager. You can also create your own sample instruments using the free Nord Sample Editor software for Mac and Windows.
New Sample Format with Unison, Tru-Vibrato, and More
- Unison creatively blends several sample voices for rich ensemble-like sounds.
- Tru-Vibrato accurately models the unique vibrato characteristics of a wide variety of wind, brass, and string instruments. Round-robin allows natural-sounding, fast repetitions.
- Synth sounds are available as monophonic samples with legato. Three delay settings optimized for both acoustic instruments and analog synth sounds are available.
Sample Synth Section Highlights
- 2 independent Sample Synth Layers (New)
- 40+ voice polyphony
- Twice the memory with a plethora of new sounds: 1GB memory for Nord Sample Library (New)
- Soft and Bright filters (New)
- Unison for rich, ensemble sounds (New)
- Tru-Vibrato for authentic vibrato (New)
- Round robin for natural-sounding repetitions (New)
- Support for monophonic samples with legato (New)
- Attack, Decay/Release, and Dynamic controls
- Volume-controllable with volume pedal (available separately)
Wide Selection of High-Quality Stereo Effects
- The Effect section offers a wide selection of instantly tweakable high-quality stereo effects modeled after classic stomp boxes. An effect can be assigned freely to any layer in the Piano and Sample Synth section.
- Mod 1: Pan, Tremolo, Wah-Wah, and Ring Modulator. All these can be controlled with a Control Pedal.
- Mod 2: Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Vibe effects with two selectable depths for each effect.
- Equalizer: Three-band EQ, with sweepable mid. The EQ can be assigned globally to all four Layers.
- Compressor/Amp: Twin, JC, Small, Compressor, and a Tube Overdrive effect.
- Delay: Stereo delay effect with Tap Tempo button and Ping Pong mode. The Delay can be assigned globally to all four Layers.
- Reverb section: Five different sizes (Booth, Room, Stage, Hall, and Cathedral) for adding ambience to your sounds. The Bright and Dark modes allow for enhanced or reduced treble. The new Chorale option adds a lush modulation effect.
- Control Pedal: Connect an optional expression pedal for hands-free control of volume and effects.
Monitor Input for a Second Nord or Audio Source
- Connect a second Nord keyboard or any other audio source to the rear-panel Monitor Input and play along a track without worrying about an external mixer or a sound system. The signal is routed to the main outputs and the headphones output.
Nord Piano 5 88-Key Main Features
- 88-note Triple Sensor keybed with grand weighted action.
- Nord Virtual Hammer Action Technology.
- Ivory-touch keys.
- New Advanced Layering (2 Pianos + 2 Sample Synths). (New)
- New Advanced Keybed Split with optional crossfades. (New)
- Seamless Transitions when changing programs.
- Layer and Split with Split Point crossfades.
- OLED display for easy-to-read overview.