The R Series R80 AMT Monitor from PreSonus features a custom 6.8in2 Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter that responds to subtle waveforms and high-frequencies. This allows you to hear the air and the greater sense of space that is characteristic of audiophile recordings. The R80’s transparent and accurate sound makes it great for use in both commercial and home recording studios as well as broadcast and post-production environments.
In order to dampen resonance peaks at higher frequencies, conventional dome tweeters are injected with fluid to raise their mass, sacrificing transient response time. By contrast, the AMT tweeter in the R80 uses a thin, folded Kapton membrane (< 0.01 mm) with an inlayed aluminum circuit functioning as the voice coil, allowing the tweeter to move at the same instant as the electric current. The resulting reactive response time provides marked clarity and better transient reproduction.
Unlike a traditional 1″ dome tweeter, an unfolded AMT tweeter diaphragm provides up to thirteen times the projection area.
The R80 provides a wide lateral dispersion and very limited vertical dispersion. The narrow vertical dispersion helps to reduce reflections from the ceiling and desktop that can cause phase coherence issues. The broad, even horizontal dispersion creates a wide sweet spot. Because it is less subject to room-anomaly interference, the R80 reacts more predictably and sounds more consistent from room to room.
The R80 utilizes a 8″ custom-coated, woven Kevlar, low-frequency driver. This rigid cone maintains a more consistent dispersion pattern across its frequency response range. Biamped and driven by a 150W Class D amplifier, this monitor delivers an open, clear, and less fatiguing listening experience.
This monitor offers user-adjustable contour features for optimizing the monitor for your mixing space. This enables full integration into any studio environment. A four-position Acoustic Space switch helps to compensate for the boundary bass boost that occurs when the monitor is placed near a wall. A high-frequency driver level control helps to further mitigate room anomalies. An onboard highpass filter makes it easy to integrate a Temblor subwoofer into your monitor setup.
With three different types of audio inputs, it’s easy to feed audio to your R-Series monitor from a mixer, an interface, a media player, or other line-level sources. The R80 provides balanced XLR, balanced 1/4″ TRS, and unbalanced RCA line-level inputs.
Components and Construction
- 2-way active AMT design provides articulate high-frequency response and wide stereo imaging
- Custom-designed, 6.8-inch, AMT ribbon tweeter responds to the subtle waveforms and the high-frequencies
- 8″ Kevlar LF driver provides transparent mid- and low-frequency reproduction
- Balanced XLR, 1/4″ TRS, and an unbalanced RCA inputs provide flexibility
- Acoustic Space settings (Linear, -1.5 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB) compensate for room placement
- Volume range A-type taper
- HF control settings (Linear,+1, -3, -6 dB)
- Low-cut settings (Linear, 60 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz)
Power and Safety
- Biamped 150W RMS (LF = 100W, HF = 50W), Class D power amplifier with switching power supply
- RF interference, output-current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, and subsonic filter protection
- Energy Conservation Mode (with enable/disable) lowers standby power to < 0.5W
- External mains fuse
- Internal power supply with IEC connector
There are no reviews yet.